samedi 29 octobre 2016

My tropical vegetable patch

I've decided to try growing some organic vegetables and herbs amongst all the tropical flowers in my backyard.

I took a lot of compost from my compost pile and mixed in a sack of potting soil. I made two mounds and then planted a tropical variety of green beans and corn. Finally, I put lots of mulch on top of the soil to keep it from drying out with all of the hot sun we get at this time of the year. (Click on photos to enlarge.)


The green beans I planted are called "Yard long bean" and are the local variety we find in stores here in French Guiana and in Surinam. These beans grow fast and easily and taste just like normal green beans.


They're not kidding when they call them "yard long" beans.


Look! They take up half the kitchen table!

I've just planted some cherry tomatoes too. I'll see how they turn out. Although I've had a few problems with insects, mostly stink bugs, I'm very proud to eat my own organic homegrown vegetables. It's actually not that hard at all and very rewarding.

3 commentaires:

  1. Bonjour Christopher et Jacques.
    Un petit coucou de Paris...
    Maryse répondra à ton long mail lorsque nous serons à Saumur. On a aidé des amis à la foire antiquaires de Bastille...
    Les beaux et longs haricots verts nous rappellent la Chine, où on en trouvait plein sur le marché!! Faciles à éplucher! Et le même bon goût que ceux de France.
    Bonne reprise... Bises François

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Hello again. How are the cherry tomatoes by now?? Tasty we hope! can you grow avocadoes as well? We tried this in Atlanta, but winters were way too cold for them to survive!
    Best wishes to you and Jacques!

    RépondreSupprimer