dimanche 5 octobre 2014

Our new apartment in Cayenne

I'm sorry for how long it's taken me to update since my last message. My new high school really keeps me busy and, to be frank, exhausted. Class starts at 7:00 am which means I have to get up at 5:30. Temperatures stay around 90° in the classrooms and everyone perspires profusely. By the time I get home, I have just enough energy to hop into the shower and cool off before preparing my lessons for the following day.

Well, here are some pictures of our new apartment. Let's go for a little tour, starting with the kitchen! (Click on photos to enlarge.)
 Then there's the living-room:
and my bedroom:
and Jack's bedroom:
We have a terrace where we eat out on weekends, and we've also got a little backyard:
One activity I enjoy is gardening. When we first arrived, the backyard was empty except for three palm trees and a little lemongrass. (I've learned that lemongrass herb tea is used to lower fever and treat malaria. Also, mosquitos don't like the smell; people usually plant it around their homes here.) With a little work on the weekends, our back yard is starting to look much nicer...
I've added some gardenias and ixora (the yellow flower below):
I've also added this tropical red flower (of which I've forgotten the name...sorry)
One of my favorite additions, however, is my tea bush. Whenever I want some fresh green tea, I just pluck a few leaves and infuse them for several minutes.
Gardening is actually quite fun in Guiana and it's hard not to go overboard with all the tropical plants and flowers you can buy at the local garden store.






















6 commentaires:

  1. The apartment looks pretty fresh, and the lighting is amazing. I think it's the perfect place for you guys. The garden looks gorgeous as well. I'm glad you took the time to garden, despite your busy schedule. Enjoy your stay there! All the best! :)

    Susan Scott @ Newington Lake House

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Hm... I was beginning to worry that nobody ever looked at this blog anymore! Thanks for leaving a comment which gives me just the encouragement I need to keep updating regularly!

      Supprimer
  2. Hi Chris! Sorry I didn't post anything before... School has kept me busy too and I guess I've been a bit lazy... I'm glad to hear you've settled well and that despite your work load you can still find some free time to garden.
    Weather's rainy and quite cold at the moment in Le Mans so it's hard to find a chance to do the same here...
    Keep on updating your blog, it's always a pleasure to read it and to look at these beautiful photos of yours!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Déconnecté... Bravo pour le jardinage. Nice flat, full of light. And extra fresh tea leaves. Whooa!! The british clippers from XIXth century have lost the battle. François.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Congratulations for getting that humble abode, Chris! You did a great job in choosing a place that suits your routines, including the little backyard for your garden. Just imagine all the transformations you can do, once you start renovating or redecorating your place. Organizing the garden is a great start, by the way! Anyway, keep us updated!

    Benny Daniel @ Finlay Brewer

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks for all your comments!... I'm posting messages only about once every two weeks because of work at the high school. Also, it's the rainy season now which means it's not so hot but it rains pretty much every day or night for about an hour. Anyways, it's great to hear from you all!

      Supprimer